The Cheshire Yeomanry

The Cheshire Yeomanry was raised by in the late 18th Century when there were considerable fears that the turmoil in France might spill over to Great Britain.

The Cheshire Yeomanry can trace its history back to 1797 when Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bart. of Tabley raised a body of provisional cavalry comprising six troops. Although this early regiment did not survive intact, the troops formed in Knutsford and Macclesfield remained and became constituents of a reformed regiment in 1802 which in 1803, was granted the right to incorporate the Prince of Wales’s feathers in its cap badge.
During the early years of the 19th Century there was general unrest in the manufacturing areas of Lancashire and Yorkshire following the end of the French Wars and the economic decline which followed, the troubles spread into East Cheshire and the Regiment was involved in aiding the Civil Power. This was followed by relatively quiet time until, at the very end of the Century, the Imperial Yeomanry was formed out of many county yeomanry regiments to fight in the Boer War. The Cheshire Yeomanry provided two companies and as a result of their service were awarded their first battle honour ‘South Africa 1900-01’.
During the Great War the Regiment saw service in Eastern England before being sent overseas to Egypt in 1916. Whilst there the Cheshire Yeomanry and the Shropshire Yeomanry merged together to form the 10th. Battalion of the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry and saw service in Palestine and France together until the end of the war.
The Cheshire Yeomanry was reformed as cavalry in 1920 and remained such until 1942. At the outbreak of the Second World War they served in the Middle East and were one of the last regiments to fight on horseback. After losing their horses in 1942 they became a Signals Regiment serving in the Middle East, England and North West Europe.
The Regiment was again reformed and equipped with tanks on May Day 1947 and in 1958 they were allocated Daimler armoured cars. Later they became a Recce regiment and retained this role until the defence reorganisation of 1967 which resulted in the Regiment being disbanded.
Click on the Cheshire Yeomanry Squadron Tab to see their current status.

Firing on the ranges in 1892

Hat of Lord Egerton of Tatton Park

‘Clara’s hoof’ from a trusted friend