Band and Drums

BAND AND DRUMS BAND AND DRUMS DISPLAY
The bugle and the drum have always been used in the army to rally the soldiers in both battle and camp. The first record of a band in the Regiment dates to 1772 when the bandmaster at the time Captain R. Lindsay wrote the ’22nd Regiment Slow March’. The Regimental quick step is ‘ Wha wadna’ facht for Charlie’. A jacobite air first used on parade when Sir Charles Napier paid his last visit to the Regiment in 1850. Its official adoption was made in 1881. Until then the 1st Battalion used ‘The Young May Moon’ and the 2nd Battalion ‘The Hundred Pipers’.

band-alderstot-may-1904_500x284

The Band of the 2nd Battalion in Aldershot in may 1904.

County Regimental Bands were disbanded in 1997. However most infantry battalions still have a Drums platoons.

drum-1

Bugle and Regimental Side Drum

band-colours-1972

Band being led by Drum Major Blackshaw on the occasion of New Colours being presented to the Battalion in 1972

museum-band-cabinet

Band Display

music-in-memory

Regimental Record Cover from 82-84