The Regiment was formed in 1922 as part of a reduction in the army’s cavalry by the amalgamation of the 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales’s) and the Carabiniers (6th Dragoon Guards), to form the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards. Both regiments were based in India at the time. In 1928 it regained its Carabinier association when it was renamed the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales’s Dragoon Guards).
In 1938 in India it exchanged its horses for armoured vehicles and became part of the newly formed Royal Armoured Corps (RAC).
During the Second World War the 3rd Carabiniers served solely in Asia after Japan’s entry into the war in December 1941. In 1943 following garrison duty in southern India, equipped with M3 Lee medium tanks they joined the 254th Indian Tank Brigade taking part in the Battle of Imphal in March 1944 and later retook the Nunshigum Ridge on April 13th following fierce fighting to dislodge the Japanese defenders. In 1945 the regiment advanced deep into occupied Burma engaging in fighting at Shwebo and Sagang and also took part in the capture of Ava and Mandalay. After the war’s official end the regiment remained part of the Garrison in India until Independence and were the last cavalry regiment to leave India.
The 3rd Carabiniers were posted to the British Army of the Rhine in West Germany between 1952 and 1959. Following a short spell in Tidworth they returned to Germany in 1961. In 1967 the Regiment re-roled as a reconnaissance unit, stationed in The Dale Camp Chester, operating the Ferret scout car.
On 2nd July 1971, the Regiment amalgamated with the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons), forming the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).